Lot of the recent updates of the BIOS of Lenovo Laptops caused the devices to get bricked, We figured out a fix for the Lenovo BIOS Failure. Let’s get started, You need to download a few files and a pen drive to get started to fix bricked Lenovo BIOS.
How To Fix –
- Format USB disk as FAT file system.
- Download the Phoenix crisis recovery tool – Link (UPDATED 6th July, 2016)
- Extract the files and run WINCRIS.exe.
If it doesn’t run and give an error try to run it in compatibility mode like shown below.
- Once the application opens, select the formatted USB stick.
- Click the “Start” button wait until this message pops up and click OK (Do not close WINCRIS.EXE)
- Choose “YES”,and hit start again and exit the tool.
- Remove your USB stick and reconnect.
- Copy the files “MINIDOS.SYS” and “PHLASH16.EXE” that are present in the same folder as the tool to USB Pen Drive.
- Copy your bios with name “bios.wph” (BIOS file differs for each laptop model,The one included in the zip is for G450 ONLY. If you have any other Lenovo model kindly read the note below)
“bios.wph” included in the zip is for G450 ONLY, If you have a different model make sure to REPLACE the included file with the “bios.wph” file of your model, download the BIOS file specific for your model from the Lenovo website and extract the downloaded .exe (Use 7-Zip) file to obtain the “bios.wph” file for your model.
- Once your USB Pen Drive looks like this, you are ready to go.
Recovering the laptop :
- Turn off your laptop, disconnect the power source, plug in the USB stick.
- Connect the Power source, Press and hold “fn” key + “R” and while doing so hit the power button and wait for 5 seconds until you see the pen drive blink and the fan running.
- Leave your laptop alone for few minutes and it will reboot on its own, if not then simply remove and replace the battery and turn it on and keep your fingers crossed.